Thursday, April 22, 2010

It was 40 Years ago today.

I know today is the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, but this is about baseball, and how this type of situation will never happen again, but I am glad it did once.
On April 22nd 1970, we were off from school for Spring Break that week. My friend from high school and I decided to see a Met game that particular afternoon, especially since Tom Seaver was on the mound. We also knew that if you got to Shea Stadium's advanced ticket window early enough, they had all the tickets for that day's game before they distributed them to the individual gates. Well, we asked for the best they had, which was first row by 1st base for $3.50 each. If you look at a list of Tom Seaver's top 10 games, this was one of them. He struck out 19 San Diego Padres, with the last 10 strikeouts in a row. I know that record was broken by a few others, but on that day it was just fantastic.

No comments: