Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Great Grateful Dead Memory

Since I started this here blog, I haven't mentioned this momentous occasion,so I will now. 39 years ago today when I was 16,I attended my first Grateful Dead concert at the fabled Fillmore East. This was notable for 2 reasons, it was the last time the Dead played there and in June of that year the Fillmore closed. But on this night, it was just fantastic. The New Riders opened for them and the Dead played a great show which I believe was the last time they did Alligator. A friend of mine gave me something...lysergically speaking.. to enjoy the show and the light show too!
Plus I told my parents (RIP), that I won't be home too late. I believe I got home around 4. Needless to say the were pissed, but got used to the fact I was going to go to more shows and also needless to say, I didn't go to school that day. It was the first of many Dead shows, and I am always...pardon the expression...grateful, to my friends who took me there.

No comments: